We’re making changes to parking to more fairly balance the different needs of people who walk, bike/scoot, bus or drive along The Parade. Reallocating the street space will improve visibility and allow for slightly wider traffic lanes north and south of the shops.
Where time-restricted car parks are being moved, replacement car parks with the same time restriction or designation will be provided as close as possible to the original location.
Car parks will be moved further back from all driveways (3m) and all intersections (30m) to make this consistent.
The mobility parking on The Parade is unaffected except for relocating one space to Medway Street. The two mobility car parks outside the medical centre and one space outside 85 The Parade are retained.
Wherever possible, parking has been retained outside local facilities. Note that changes to the time-restricted parking outside the cinema on Mersey Street have already been approved and will happen separately from this project.
We’re also developing a local area parking plan based on parking analysis and community feedback.
The changes are:
Overall, between Dee and Reef streets, on-street parking spaces will be reduced by about 80 to 100 – down from about 205 angle and parallel spaces to about 105 to 125 parallel spaces.
Most of the parking reduction is south of the 30km/h zone where the road is narrower. In some places, there will be parking only on one side of the street.
Individual parking spaces will not be marked, only the end bars.
Councillors also approved several other small parking changes on 15 September following discussions with a few local businesses and churches about small changes to car parking in their immediate areas. These changes will improve access to some places and help support businesses.
These parking changes are on Humber Street and nearby on The Parade (near St Hilda's Church), on Reef Street and nearby on The Parade, near the Island Bay Childcare Centre and on The Parade near the Serbian Church.
Further small parking changes and the changes through the shopping area were approved on 14 December 2022.
North of the 30km/h zone
Dee to Tamar
- Parking for 10–12 vehicles will remain along this stretch (8–10 fewer than before)
Tamar to the 30km/h zone
- Parking for 17–21 vehicles will remain along this stretch (4–8 fewer than before)
- Mobility space outside 85 The Parade retained
In the 30km/h zone
- All angle parking changed to parallel parking
- 37–41 parallel parking spaces remain along this stretch (21–24 fewer car parks than before)
- 12 P60 spaces on The Parade relocated:
- 3 P60 spaces moved to just south of Avon Street
- 4 P60 spaces moved to just south of Medway Street
- 5 P60 spaces moved to Medway Street
- one P60 space on the northern side of Medway Street moved to the angled parking on the southern side of Medway Street to make space for the P60 mobility space relocated from The Parade
- The angled mobility P60 space near 134 The Parade is relocated to a parallel space on the northern side of Medway Street
- The 2 mobility parks outside the medical centre are retained
- Taxi stand on Medway Street moved slightly west to make room for the P60 mobility space relocated from The Parade
South of the 30km/h zone
30km/h zone to Mersey
- Parking for 7–8 vehicles will remain along this stretch (8–9 fewer than before)
Mersey to Humber
- Parking for 21–26 vehicles will remain along this stretch (27–32 fewer than before)
- 2 P10 spaces retained
Humber to Trent
- Parking for 5–6 vehicles will remain along this stretch (9–10 fewer than before)
Trent to Reef
- Parking for 9 vehicles will remain along this stretch (6 fewer than before)
- One P120 space relocated from The Parade to Reef Street